“Doing The New Lowdown!”
Tap Dance Master Class with Nancy Traina
Featuring the choreography of Bill “Bojangles” Robinson
Monday, August 19th, 2:30 – 4:00pm
1795 Broadway, Salem
Considered the Godfather of tap dance, Bill “Bojangles” Robinson brought tap from flat footed dancing to swinging up on the toes. He is best known for dancing with Shirley Temple and his famous stair dance from the musical revue “ Blackbirds of 1928”.“Doin the New Lowdown “ is a classic for tap dancers around the world. Nancy will teach an original version of the dance, a three chorus routine as performed by Honi Coles and Cholly Atkins on “Camera Three”.
Happy July Tappers! The heat wave has started as have our summer lessons. Please take note of the notes below to add some summer sizzle to your tappy life!
I hope to see many of you at the World Beat Festival tomorrow (Saturday). The Claddagh Dancers will be performing at 2:30 on the European stage! The stage is along the Riverfront. I wish you all a wonderful 4th of July!!
On Tap Notes – July 2013
1.Summer Class time changes:
- Monday Beginning Tap is now at 3:30 pm.
- Monday Intermediate Tap is now at 2:30 pm
- Celtic Kids Irish Dance is now at 5 pm Mondays at the Tap House in West Salem. The Irish Tea Party will be Monday July 15th so Hallidae and Evie can be there. This class will run through July 22nd.
2. The next On Tap show is Saturday July 20th at the Bonaventure Retirement Residence in South Salem at 2:00 pm. All students are encouraged to perform! It will have a similar format to our Showcase.
3. Happy Tappy July birthday to Emily Vetter and Evie Hoppe! We’ll be doing the birthday dance Monday!!
4. Vancouver Tap Dance Festival Registrations have been submitted. If anyone else wants to join us please visit their website at www.vantapdance.com. Attending the festival are Sheri Leipzig, Danica Andresen, Emily Vetter, and myself. 🙂
5. SAVE THE DATE: Friday, August 16th, Master Class with Nancy Traina at 4:00 pm. Nancy will come to our Salem studio and teach Bill Bojangles Robinson choreography. I saw this dance at her show in Corvallis. It’s great! This will be our only class in August. The fee is $20.00 for a 90 minute class.
That’s all the notes for now!
Yours in tap,